Thursday, October 30, 2014

What a Difference a Day Makes

This morning did not seem to be starting well when both boys continued to sit on their beds when Jerry told them to go downstairs with him. I was having a computer crisis so I was planning to follow a few minutes behind. I picked Peter up by the arm and said something to the effect that Daddy must be obeyed.  When I got downstairs he was obviously unhappy so I asked the guide to tell them that we are going to see things in Xian, like the city wall and a museum  of history today because they will be leaving China and I want them to learn as much as they can before  they leave.  I know they would rather be playing and I would rather be shopping or reading but we don't want to miss this opportunity. Our guide, Crystal, is a sweetheart. She usually triesto do everything in English and I have to remind her to tell the boys things in Chinese, but today at the wall she focused mostly on them, which was fine with everyone. We saw our first real smiles from William and his attitude got better and better as the day went on. 

We were there at the time of the warriors show at the city wall.

We ate lunch with Crystal and the Richeys at our favorite restaurant on Muslim Street where they serve wonderful handmade noodles.  Peter prefers rice, William prefers noodles.

After a fruitless trek around a huge museum looking for a rock which shows the first introduction of Christianity to China in around 600 AD (where Peter had his own personal guide, who he listened to very attentively, while William wandered off) we went back to the Muslim district for some snacks,
William and I both had tornado potatoes, which I hope come to America soon.  Jerry is now teaching the boys to play UNO. He is a good dad.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I knew you'd get through to him and that he'd open up. Both boys are so blessed to have you and I know you are even more blessed to have them. What a difference it makes to have experienced parents that know what to expect and how to handle things. :)

    ReplyDelete